Monday, October 08, 2007

Chinese Internet

I'm still in China, and ever since I got here I've only had sporadic internet access. Its partially to do with the fact that the hotel I am staying in hasn't updated their network since the early 90's, and partially to do with the fact that I am lost somewhere behind the Great Chinese Firewall.

As soon as your try to goto a blocked page you just get a "problem loading page" message, and thats it. I of course knew the government censored a lot of the web, but its surprising what they censor. For example I can goto www.blogger.com where I goto post on this blog, but I can't goto www.blogspot.com where I go to read it!

I think the most annoying lack is that I can't goto wikipedia, or certain other news sites, but I think it would be worse if I lived here long term because of some of the specifically censored stuff. Just to give it a try I googled "tiananmen square" which is something the Chinese are particularly sensitive about, of the first 10 results that came up, I could load 2, neither of which mentioned the unpleasant events from 1989.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I'll be setting up a proper proxy before I go over for holidays.

Luke McCrohon said...

If you set up a permanent one please let me know, I have a friend in China who would be interested.

This page has been responsible for distracting Free Counters people since 18/11/2007.